Whilst the annual festive bombardment has already begun, marketing professionals are facing a different type of countdown. The countdown to new data protection regulations. GDPR.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will apply in the UK from 25th May 2018. This is the most significant piece of European data protection regulation in 20 years. It replaces the 1995 Data Protection Directive. We know that preparing for this change is a priority for many of our customers, and it is definitely a priority for us too. What will this mean for your organisation and how can you prepare?
Firstly, don’t panic!
The main concepts and principles of the GDPR are the same as those in the current Data Protection Act. If you are complying properly with the current law, then you already have a good starting point to build from. Potential fines for non-compliance with the GDPR will be up to 4% of a company’s annual turnover.
Secondly, embrace the positive! The GDPR will ensure that good data practices are implemented across Europe and this can only be a good development for both individuals and companies.
This checklist highlights 12 steps you can take now to prepare for the General Data Protection Regulation(GDPR) which will apply from 25 May 2018.
You can download it using this link:
But surely the GDPR won’t affect us after Brexit?
This is European regulation that UK companies will have to comply with as the GDPR affects anyone holding data on European citizens, even if the company is not in Europe. The government will be bringing the GDPR into UK law, which will help UK businesses post-Brexit . Questions do still remain as to what this will mean in practice, but companies in the UK will have to comply.
There is always uncertainty surrounding new regulation. At KG Moore, we will be working with our clients to help them prepare for the new GDPR. We will also be publishing updates as we get closer to May 2018. The next update will most likely be about Article 29, which will provide detail on profiling and automated decision making, should be published this month.
There will be those marketers who feel “Ah! We do B2B marketing so this doesn’t apply.” That’s no excuse for not being on top of changing data protection regulations – and reconsidering good practice for a clean, healthy opt-in marketing database.
Subscribe Strategic Insights to keep informed.
- Countdown to GDPR - 11th October 2017
- 5 reasons why marketers need to get out from behind their desks - 20th June 2017
- What Marketers do all day – the whole truth revealed - 19th April 2017
- 7 ways marketers learn from failures and achieve greater results - 16th March 2017
- 7 tips to stay focussed on marketing success - 8th March 2017
- Infographic: 3 ways to move a customer through your sales pipeline - 21st February 2017
- Comms Dealer Awards Finalist - 5th May 2016
- Is marketing an investment or irritable cost? - 17th July 2015
- How to be prepared for social moaners - 30th June 2015
- Does Content Marketing work? - 22nd June 2015